Monday, March 28, 2011

Cupcakes galore!








Last Saturday I went to "All The Fun Of The Fair", which is a lovely quirky little yarn shop just off Carnaby Street. Twinkie Chan was there signing books , crocheting cupcakes and eating cupcakes. Ever since I bought Twinkie's wonderful book "Crochet Goodies For Fashion Foodies" I have been on a mission to make just about everything in it. The patterns are simple but so effective - fun to make and fun to wear. I have never bought as much bright acrylic yarn before and actually enjoyed using it. Twinkie was so charming and really modest about her skills. The shop had provided yummy cupcakes from Candy Cakes for everyone to eat. Needless to say, I tucked in and enjoyed!
Feeling inspired to start another of Twinkie's designs, I purchased 2 balls of the brightest orange acrylic yarn ever and got stuck in to the Giant Carrot Scarf on the train home. It worked up really quickly and I had the carrot finished by Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I didn't have the right shade of green yarn for the leafy bit so that will have to wait until Tuesday. The yarn stall at Watford market has every shade of acrylic yarn you could wish for.
I knitted up most of the big furry jacket weeks ago and didn't get around to sewing it up straight away. So this weekend I tried to finish a few projects that were almost done and this one was first on the list. Knitted entirely from Sirdar Foxy, this is a seriously furry jacket.
I like the garment a lot . It is quite fun and should be very warm.
Next for long overdue finishing was the Commuter Knapsack from "Knitting green". I bought the book on the strength of this pattern and am not disappointed with it. It is such a lovely bag - I don't know why it has taken me so long to sew on the button and make the drawstring. I really love it and will probably line it at some point to give it more strength. The flap turned out a bit big and if I made it again I would adjust that. A few other knitters noted the same point on Ravelry, where there are some beautiful examples of this bag. I used KonTiki yarn, which is a cotton/acrylic mix. 8 balls in shade Paprika.

No comments: