Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Summer knitting

I have been knitting a lot lately and also crocheting, which I am enjoying a great deal. It seems that there are a lot more fashionable and wearable crochet patterns around these days. I found Doris Chan's free pattern for the "All Shawl" on Ravelry and really liked the way it can be made up in various sizes and gauges for different effects. I had a large ball of wool that I purchased in a charity shop for 50p and made up the scarf size first...
I love this little shoulder shawl/ scarf so much that I made another using the same yarn in a slightly looser gauge. This obviously finished up slightly larger than the first one and I was pleased with the looser fabric. There is enough yarn left for at least one more of these - what a bargain !
I had four balls of Rowan Cashcotton DK that I bought at half price in the fabulous John Lewis sale this year. It took about three and a half balls to make up the larger version of the All Shawl. The pattern is easy to memorise and works up quickly. I can see myself making many more versions of this.
I also made a couple of large, dramatic looking wraps from novelty eyelash yarn that I had in my stash. I made up the pattern - very simple wrap with big fun fringes. These worked up really quickly and look amazing on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

.Love the scarf size shawl. Just goes to show - it's amazing what you can do with charity shop finds

Tina Peacock said...

I love the shawl. It looks gorgeous! I think I'll pop & check out that free pattern on Rav!