Thursday, August 02, 2012

The Belmondo Shawl and deeply unflattering cotton tank top



Having finished the first of my Belmondo Shawls, I was well pleased.  The Patons Dew was perfect for this pattern as it drapes nicely.  I used about three and a half balls and have plenty left to make more shawls.  I like the style and the colour of this shawl. Being so pleased with it, I decided to cast on another one to give as a gift with some RYC Silk Aran that I purchased on sale at my LYS, Mavis in Bushey.
 
  I managed to knit the whole shawl up on Sunday afternoon and was just patting myself on the back when I noticed that I had made mistake with the lace pattern. Darn it!!!
 
  I must have lost concentration for a while as I watched the Olympics on the telly.  Fortunately you can't see the mistake when you wear the shawl. I have decided to keep it for myself rather than give it as a gift knowing it's not perfect. I love it and have worn it twice already - so maybe it was a lucky mistake.  Still need a gift, so have cast on Belmondo III using the Noro Yuzen that I bought in March at the craft show at Olympia.  This time I will be checking the lace rows very carefully!
Meanwhile, I also had some Wendy Supreme Cotton dk that was telling me it wanted to be a top from a recent issue of Knitting magazine.  The design is called FrouFrou.  Maybe that should have been a clue that it wasn't for me.  After a marathon knitting session on Monday and Tuesday I finished the knitting, sewed it up and was sorely disappointed with the result. There can be few things less flattering than a big frilly panel sticking out at hip level. I should have let the dog eat it when he expressed an interest. Anyways, I've given it a severe blocking and am hoping the frills will drop into a slightly less ridiculous looking style.  More news on this next post!

No comments: