Sunday, May 21, 2006

Crochet flowers

This week there has been lots of crochet going on -I'm really growing to like it. This is the Garden Scarf from Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker book. I have completed one already and it is currently blocking in the attic - should be ready by tomorrow if the weather warms up a bit. I still seem to have problems acheiving gauge with crochet and the scarf was a little narrow. Not really a problem with this scarf as it still looks great but I started another with a much larger hook and am happier with this. For scarf pictured above I have used an 8mm hook and it looks more like the one pictured in the book. For the first effort I used a 5.5mm hook as recommended in the pattern and just can't see how the flowers could possibly turn out as large as described.


Anyway, the finished item is very attractive. A really funky looking scarf ! This could be a great way of using up leftover scraps of yarn. Meanwhile, the Indonesian Teak Scarf (which is really more of a stole ) is almost finished. I've sewn in all the ends and only need to attach the beads now. It's looking pretty spectacular - far better than it looks in the pictures . The contrasting textures are amazing. This was a really fun project and there is enough yarn left to make another

Also on the needles this week has been the Soft Cables Mobius scarf in Alpaca Silk. It seems to have taken ages for the six row pattern to stick in my mind but I think that I've got it now and, hopefully, progress will be quicker. The pattern is designed to look the same on both sides of the fabric which is pretty neat. The plan for next week is to finish my Cotton Tape top and make at least one more project from One Skein. This will probably be the washmitt and bath puff in the aloo yarn. Now that my afghan crochet hook has arrived I am keen to have a go with it